The large Central Asian country of Uzbekistan enjoys a landlocked and central location: it borders on all other Central Asian countries: Turkmenistan and Afghanistan to the south, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to the east, and Kazakhstan to the north. Most of Uzbekistan consists of rocky desert, including the tragically shrinking Aral Sea, and the vast Kyzyl Kum Desert, both of which Uzbekistan shares with Kazakhstan. Most diversity in landscape is found in the east of Uzbekistan. Here you will find the western extremities of the Tian Shan and Pamir ranges, near the borders with Kyrgystan and Tajikistan. Uzbekistan's highest mountain is Khazret Sultan (4643 m), part of the Hisor (Gissar) Range and right on the border with Tajikistan.
The best trekking possibilities are in the northeastern Greater Chimgan Mountain area, part of the Ugam Chatkal National Park in the western foothills of the Tian Shan, about 100 km to the northeast of Tashkent. Some great canyons and gorges here, like the Koksu, Gulkam and Paltau river gorges, the Pskem, Beldersay and Chirchik river valleys and the Urungach mountain lakes. The area includes several majestic ridges such as Chimgan, Karjantau, Ugam and Chatkal.
Other options are hiking in the Zaamin National Park on the slopes of the Turkestan Range along the border with Tajikistan, or into the Amankutan gorge, part of the Zerafshan range not far from the city of Samarkand.
- Reisgids Uzbekistan - The Golden Road to Samarkand | Odyssey
- This is the nation at the crossroads of ancient trade routes. This is the only comprehensive guide to this former Soviet republic. Samarkand, Khiva and Bukhara cities are more than 25 centuries old. These are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This title highlights Tamerlane the Great, local traditions, Islamic art in Uzbekistan and ancient... Read more
- Reisgids Central Asia - Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgizië en Tajikistan | Lonely Planet
- De perfecte reisgids voor zowel de georganiseerde als de zelfstandige reiziger. Naast een algemene inleiding van het land / streek vol met praktische informatie over hoe je er het beste kunt reizen: slapen, eten, vervoer, excursies ... alles kun je er in vinden. Met Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgizië en Tajikistan. Multi-country... Read more
- Reisgids Silk Roads - A Route and Planning Guide (Zijderoute) | Trailblazer
- The Silk Road was never a single thread across Asia but an intricate web of shorter routes - Silk Roads - which together linked the Pacific Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea. This guidebook is the first to cover these routes in their entirety and with it you can retrace the Golden Road to Samarkand, follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great,... Read more
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- Trailblazer The Silk Roads
- <DIV><DIV><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The Silk Road was never a single thread but an intricate web of trade routes ? Silk Roads ? linking Asia and Europe. This new practical guide helps travelers explore all these threads and covers Turkey, Syria, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan and... Read more
- Reisgids Oezbekistan - Uzbekistan | Bradt
- Als er geen Lonely Planet is, is dit het alternatief ... En vaak nog beter ook. De beste gids over Oezbekistan met alle mogelijke informatie, zowel praktisch (eten, slapen, reizen) als achtergronden over cultuur, landschap en bevolking. This new edition of Bradt’s Uzbekistan continues to offer more practical detail for independent travelers... Read more
- Trailblazer The Silk Roads
- <DIV><DIV>The Silk Road was never a single thread but an intricate web of trade routes ? Silk Roads ? linking Asia and Europe. This new practical guide helps travellers explore all these threads and covers Turkey, Syria, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan and China.<BR>· Getting to the region from... Read more